What is Class 4 National Insurance? | Sole Trader Nl

National insurance (NI) is a tax you pay on any earnings and income when you start work. The national insurance contributions you make help to pay for things like state benefits, statutory sick pay, maternity leave, and various other employment benefits.   

What is Class 4 National Insurance? | Sole Trader Nl


What is a National Insurance number?

Your NI number is your own unique personal account number. Everybody is given one, and it stays the same throughout your life.

Your national insurance contributions and any income tax you pay will be linked to this number, which will be your reference number when communicating with HMRC.


Who pays National Insurance?

You pay NI whether you are self-employed or not, so long as you are at least 16 years old, work in the UK and are either:

  • An employee earning more than £166 per week for 2019/20 and £169 per week for 2020/21
  • Self-employed and making a profit of at least £6,365 per year for 2019/20 and £6,475 per year for 2020/21


How do I apply for a National Insurance number?

If you are from the UK, you will receive a national insurance number automatically before you turn 16. If you move to the UK from elsewhere, you may have a number allocated to you with your residence permit.

In either case, if you do not receive your NI number, you’ll need to call the national insurance helpline.


Making National Insurance Contributions as a sole trader

If you are employed, it is your employer’s responsibility to pay over any NI contributions each month.

When you decide to work for yourself, you will need to register as a sole trader. From there, you will pay the right amount of NI at the end of the year the self-assessment process. 


Class 2 National Insurance Contributions (NICs)

If the profit you make as a sole trader at the end of the year is more than £6,365, you’ll need to pay Class 2 contributions.

You will pay £3 per week for your Class 2 NICs, which are paid over at the end of each year to HMRC through your Self Assessment. Therefore, you will pay £156 in total.


Class 4 National Insurance Contributions

If the profit you make as a sole trader at the end of the year is more than £8,632, you’ll need to Class 4 contributions.

You will pay 9% on any profits between £8,632 and £50,000 and 2% on profits of over £50,000.

The amount you pay for your Class 4 NICs will be calculated at the end of each year as part of your Self Assessment, though you’ll usually pay the amount due to HMRC every six months as part of what is known as ‘payment on account’.


What National Insurance contributions do I have to make if I’m self-employed

If you’re self-employed, you’ll pay Class 2 National Insurance Contributions (NICs), so long as you have had at least £6,365 in profit. You will also need to pay Class 4 NICs on anything above £8,632.


Profit Band


National Insurance Class

Less than £6,365

£0.00 or voluntary class 2 payment of £3 per week

None / Class 2

£6,365 - £8,632


Class 2

£8,632 - £50,000


Class 4

Over £50,000


Class 4

When do I need to pay national insurance if I’m self-employed?

If you pay your tax through ‘payments on account’, then you will pay your Class 4 NICs at the same time. If not, your Class 2 and Class 4 NICs will be paid as part of the payment due on 31 January after the tax year ends.


Other articles you might be interested in


VAT Domestic Reverse Charge Delayed until March 21

16 June 2020

A 12-month delay has been announced by the Government for the UK-wide rollout of the new VAT domestic reverse charge within the construction industry. The reverse charge had been set to come into force on October 1st, 2020.

Show more