Construction Industry Scheme

Helping you claim an average CIS tax rebate of £2,700

✓ Tax return submission
✓ Dedicated account manager  
✓ Year-round advice and support
✓ Easy-to-use software

services > CIS Tax refunds

We're experts at Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) tax refunds

Our team of in-house Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) tax experts can help you understand exactly what you can claim back so you'll never miss out on a penny.

CIS Tax refund calculator

If you’re self-employed and registered for CIS tax, you could be entitled to a tax refund.


With IN-SYNC, you're protected.

From time-to-time, HMRC may want to look into your tax affairs. With IN-SYNC, you'll get Tax Investigation Cover, which means you'll get full access to our team to help you with the investigation and you won't be out of pocket. 

James reclaimed £2,274 through IN-SYNC

James was a self-employed plumber and knew that he could claim a CIS tax refund, but wasn't sure how to do it.
With the help of our team, we helped him get a refund of £2,274 which he used towards his brand new van. 
Perfect for the construction industry

Perfect for the construction industry

Our CIS experts will help you maximise your CIS tax refund. 

Get your FREE estimation in minutes

Get your FREE estimation in minutes

Speak to our team of in-house experts and we'll tell you exactly what you could be entitled to

Your FREE estimate will only take a few minutes

Our in-house team of experts can help you understand exactly what you could be entitled to reclaim, along with whether or not you can have an advance on any money due to you. 

Giving you all the tools of the trade...

We’ve got a range of digital tools to help you manage your business smarter than ever:

✓ IN-SYNC Luna | Manage your business finances in one place
✓ Income & Expenses | Integrate your online bank statements

Get a FREE CIS tax refund estimate

FAQs: CIS Tax Refunds

If you’re self-employed and work in the construction industry or on site as a plumber or heating engineer for example, you’d fall under the CIS. Construction workers who are subcontracted by contractors will have CIS deductions taken towards tax and national insurance, which are then passed through to HMRC.

These Tax deductions can then be calculated at the end of the Tax year in your Self Assessment, allowing you to claim a CIS Tax refund on any CIS deductions you’ve overpaid. It can sound daunting, but having the support of experienced Tax experts makes the experience a doddle.


The Construction Industry Scheme is designed for self-employed people working in construction. CIS work according to HMRC includes work undertaken to permanent or temporary building structures, or civil engineering work like roads and bridges for example. Construction work, as far as CIS is concerned at least, includes: Site preparation and the provision of access works or laying foundations, building work, alterations, repairs and decoration, the installation of heating, lighting, power, water and ventilation, subsequent cleaning of site following completion of construction work and any dismantling or demolition works required.

Claiming your CIS Tax refund is far easier than you might think. At the end of each Tax year, you need to submit a Tax return to HMRC. From this process you’ll know exactly what Tax and National Insurance you owe which is offset against any tax deductions you’ve already paid. In most cases, this will entitle you to a tax refund, if you're under the CIS. If you’d like tax experts to take care of this for you, contact us and one of our dedicated consultants will talk you through every step over the phone. We’ll then start preparing your tax return right away and in many cases, can submit on the same day


No. All of our charges for completing your CIS tax return are automatically deducted from your Tax refund figure, so you won’t need to find a penny in advance (so long as your refund sufficiently covers our fee).


Yes, our sister company IN-SYNC Credit Services may be able to pay your CIS Tax refund into your bank account as soon as we have your expenses and income information – Perfect if you need a little bit of extra cash for a rainy day.


The refund you may get back depends on three things: Your CIS deductions, total earnings and business expenses. The average Tax refund for our customers is £2,700. In some cases you can receive several years of overpaid refunds — if you’re eligible, CIS Tax can even be claimed back for the previous four years. As a CIS worker, you’ll be required to make contributions for Tax and National Insurance each month. The amount of Tax you pay is typically 20%, but will be determined by HMRC when the contractor you work for verifies your UTR number. Your refunds calculation starts by looking at your total income for the year and deducting any allowable business expenses. When you know exactly how much profit you’ve earned for the Tax year, you can then work out how much of it you have already paid. Remember, you will take into account your Tax-free earnings and any National Insurance contributions too. Finally, once you know your income, profit, Tax and National Insurance contributions, you’ll take the difference between the Tax you've already paid and the actual figure you’re required to pay. This will show you whether you’re entitled to a refund, or subject to a liability.


No, if you pay PAYE Tax as an employee of a company, you won’t be eligible as you will already pay the correct Tax according to your Tax code.


CIS registered operatives will pay a 20% Tax rate.